Local Advisory Boards (LABs)
Local Advisory Boards are vitally important in ensuring the good governance of each academy and are constituted to provide local scrutiny and challenge for Head Teachers and Principals within the individual academies. The trustees are responsible for the general control and management of the administration of the trust, and in accordance with the provisions set out in the memorandum and articles of association and its funding agreement, it is legally responsible and accountable for all statutory functions, for the performance of all schools within the trust. The approved written scheme of delegation details any delegated responsibilities to the LABs.
The functions of the local advisory board are focused on the importance of monitoring educational standards and school life as well as community engagement and accountability to stakeholders. “A number of trusts are moving the local tier into a specific community or stakeholder engagement role. This is a valid move, as those at academy level often have a strong connection to their individual school and are part of the local community. As such, they volunteer at school level because they want to put something back into the community and help improve education for local children”, NGA June 2019
The LAB exercises the powers and responsibilities delegated to them by the Trust Board. Details of these powers and responsibilities are set out in the Scheme of Delegation and other key policies.
Responsibilities of the Local Advisory Board
Members of the LABs are called Governors and have the following duties:
- Ensuring good governance of the academy, using the agreed level of delegation and reporting accordingly
- Representing the school vision and aims in accordance with the KAT vision and principles whilst ensuring individual schools aims and objectives are relevant to local needs
- Supporting the Head Teacher/ Principal and senior leadership of the Academy whilst being a critical friend
- Monitoring the achievement, quality of teaching & learning and behaviour within the Academy
- Engagement with the Academy’s key stakeholders e.g. parents/carers, pupils, staff and the wider community.
- Establishing and reviewing academy level policies and procedures, reflecting Trust expectations and bringing them to the attention of the CEO if any doubt exists
- Working within the expectations of the Terms of Reference (ToR) between KAT & LAB
The Trust has appointed Susan Jackson as the Safeguarding Trustee. Please click here to view further details of Trustees.
Chair of local advisory body
|Anita Singh||Apr 2020|
|Manjit Bhail (Parent Governor)||Apr 2020|
|Sukhvinder Sabharwal (Parent Governor)||Jun 2020|
|Ian Beeston (Staff Governor)||Apr 2020|
|Nina Bahia||Apr 2020|
|Sana Bhopal (SEND Governor)||Apr 2020|
|Amarpreet Singh||Apr 2020|
|Nigel Dicker||Apr 2020|
Schools are obliged to publish details of governor attendance. Below you will find details of current governors’ attendance at meetings:
Attendance Record – LAB
|28 Apr 20||/||/||/||/||/||/||/|
|24 Jun 20||/||/||/||/||/||/||/||/||/|
|23 Jul 20||/||/||/||/||/||/||/|
|29 Sept 20||/||/||/||/||/||/|
|25 Feb 21||/||/||/||/||/||/||/||/|
|26 May 21||/||/||/||/||/||/|
|12 July 21||/||/||/||/||/||/||/|