Eating together is one of the core principles of Khalsa Secondary Academy and the food that we eat is very important to us. This forms part of our ethos which is centred on a healthy and enjoyable lifestyle. Govinda’s, our school caterers, offer nutritionally balanced vegetarian meals. The menu is exciting and carefully planned to encourage positive healthy eating habits.
Students can bring in a healthy, vegetarian packed lunch. We have a Gurdwara on site and therefore we ask all parents to respect our strictly vegetarian policy.
Packed lunches should include:
- At least one portion of fruit and one portion of vegetables every day.
- Source of non-dairy protein (e.g. lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, hummus, and falafel) every day.
- A starchy food such as any type of bread, pasta, rice, couscous, noodles, potatoes or other type of cereals every day.
- Dairy food such as milk, cheese, yoghurt, fromage frais every day.
- Water only, still or sparkling, fruit juice, semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, yoghurt or milk drinks and smoothies.
Packed lunches should not include:
- Any meat, fish or eggs. You will be aware that the school promotes a vegetarian ethos and has on-site a Gurdwara. We would respectfully ask parents to be mindful of this and support the Sikh ethos of the school by ensuring packed lunches do not contain any of these.
- Snacks such as crisps. Instead, include seeds, vegetables and fruit (with no added salt, sugar or fat). Savoury crackers or breadsticks served with fruit, vegetables or dairy food are also a good choice.
- Confectionery such as chocolate bars, chocolate-coated biscuits and sweets. Cakes (eggless) and biscuits are allowed but encourage your child to eat these only as part of a balanced meal.
Special diets and allergies
The school also recognises that some pupils may require special diets. In this case parents are urged to be responsible in ensuring that packed lunches are as healthy as possible. For these reasons pupils are also not permitted to swap food items
Assessment, evaluation and reviewing
Packed lunches will be regularly reviewed by teaching staff/catering staff to ensure they meet the nutritional expectations as stated above.