Atam Academy is a fully inclusive school and advocates an inclusive education policy.
Inclusion looks at the needs of all pupils including children with specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, pupils with emotional and behavioural difficulties, EAL (English as and Additional Language) pupils, and pupils considered to be Gifted and Talented.
At Atam Academy we follow the principles of Inclusion as laid down in the Code of Practice for Special Educational Needs 2014.
- all pupils are offered full access to a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum
- all pupils will be given the opportunity to reach their full potential educationally, emotionally, and physically
- all teachers view themselves as teachers of pupils with special educational needs, teaching such pupils is a whole school responsibility
- all pupils with special educational needs should have their needs met
- all pupil's special educational needs will normally be met in the mainstream classroom
- pupil's views should be sought and taken into account
- parents/carers have a vital role to play in supporting their child's education and therefore good home/school links are established
Special Educational Needs
Pupils considered to have special educational needs will be put on the Code of Practice in consultation with parents/carers. They will be given an individual education plan (IEP) which will focus on addressing their particular area of need. The IEP's are reviewed termly with the class teacher, SENDCo and where the need arises with parents/carers and key workers. The IEP's are shared with the pupils so they have an understanding of what they are working towards. For more information see the Special Educational Needs Policy document.
EAL (English as an Additional Language)
We aim to make appropriate provision of teaching and resources for pupils with EAL and for raising achievement of pupils who are at risk from underachieving. We will identify individual pupil's needs, recognising skills they bring to our school and ensuring that they have equal access to the curriculum. By this we aim to ensure that all EAL pupils are able to understand English confidently and competently, use English as a means of learning across the curriculum and where appropriate, make use of their knowledge of other languages.
SEBD (Social, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties)
We aim to support our children with emotional and behavioural difficulties, by providing a safe, secure and welcoming learning environment in which to learn.
We have in place a range of strategies and methods to best support these children, and facilitate their learning both in and out of the classroom environment, to ensure their achieve to their potential.
Gifted and Talented
Providing for gifted and talented learners at Atam Academy is a matter of equity - as with all other pupils they have a right to an education that is suited to their needs and abilities, to allow them to fulfil their true potential. For Gifted and Talented pupils we aim to stretch and challenge them both in and out of the classroom environment; and to ensure that there are opportunities to further their particular strengths and abilities outside of school.