Safe in School
Atam Academy safeguarding statement 2018-2019
We recognize our moral and statutory responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of all students. We endeavour to provide a safe and welcoming environment where students are respected and valued. We are alert to the signs of abuse and neglect and follow our procedures to ensure that students receive effective support, protection and justice. Child protection reporting and systems, form part of the school’s safeguarding responsibilities.
Safeguarding legislation and government guidance says that safeguarding means:
• Protecting children from maltreatment
• Preventing impairment of children’s health or development
• Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
• Taking action to enable all children and young people to have the best outcome
Safeguarding includes child protection, health care plans, health and safety, site security, safety on school trips, anti-bullying work and ensuring the wellbeing of each student.
Safeguarding also includes: recruitment; trips and visits; visitors to the academy; online safety; curriculum (PSHE); no tolerance to bullying.
The school’s Safeguarding Team consists of:
- Mrs Piesse (Designated safeguarding lead)
- Ms Sheila Wrack (Deputy safeguarding lead)
How is safeguarding achieved?
All staff receive annual Child Protection and Safeguarding update training and are aware of the procedures for passing on concerns within the academy. If any members of the school or local community have concerns about the welfare of a child in the school, please pass them on to the safeguarding team.